To celebrate the launch of our new Kaliyan Mith training restaurant, Marum, we are very happy to share a recipe direct from the Marum kitchen! The Sesame Marum & Wild Mushroom Rice Balls with Beetroot Mayonnaise tastes delicious and we expect it to be a sure fire hit with our customers.
Marum is part of the TREE Alliance, powered by Friends-International.
Sesame Marum & Wild Mushroom Rice Balls with Beetroot Mayonnaise
Makes 4 serves (5 x 25g balls per plate)
30ml Sunflower oil
100g Onion- peel and finely dice
1pc Garlic clove- finely chop
250g Sticky rice
50ml Khmer rice wine
1 Litre Mushroom stock (use water left from cooking dried shitakes and make a vegetable stock with this water)
50ml Sunflower oil
100g shitake-chopped (if you are using dried shitakes boil them in hot water until reconstituted)
50gr Straw mushroom-chopped
50gr Enoki mushroom-chopped
½Cup Marum leaves- picked
2Tbsp Sesame seeds- toasted
Flour for crumbing
Egg for crumbing
Japanese Bread crumbs- blended to a finer texture
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy based pan over a medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, Cook for 3 minutes without colour until onion is soft.
- Add rice and start to stir with a spoon –cook rice for 2minutes without color
- Add wine and allow to reduce.
- Add ¼ of the stock, stir to stop rice from sticking and turn the heat to low
- Leave the rice to cook and absorb the stock. Keep adding stock bit by bit and stirring rice while it cooks. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan and sauté the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Half way through cooking the rice, add the cooked mushrooms.
- Continue to add stock until the sticky rice is cooked and the rice had absorbed all stock.
- When the rice is almost cooked and the Marum leaves and sesame seeds.
- Taste to check seasoning, adjust if required.
- Once rice is creamy and cooked, spread the rice onto a tray and allow it to cool down completely. Place in fridge.
- Once rice is cold you can roll the mixture into balls- each ball should weigh 25 grams.
- Place balls back in the fridge to firm up again.
- Prepare ingredients for crumbing
- Crumb rice balls by placing in flour, egg and crumbs. Make sure the rice is covered with crumbs.
- Place crumbed rice balls into a plastic container placing baking paper between the layers.
- Place in fridge and allow to set again before cooking.
Note: You can substitute sticky rice with Arborio or Carnaroli rice
You can substitute Marum leaves with Fresh Basil
200g Basic Mayonnaise
50g Beetroot-roasted and peeled
1. Mix mayonnaise with beetroot blend until smooth.
2. Place in airtight container and refrigerate. Keeps for 5 days
- Heat cooking oil in a large wok or deep fryer until it reaches 175c.
- Deep fry rice balls until golden in colour and crispy, approximately 3 minutes. Remove from oil and drain.
- Season with salt.
- Serve rice balls with Beetroot mayonnaise on the side.
- Great as a shared starter or snack.